Tuesday 8 July 2014

MMMM 06.07.2014

Waking to leaden skies and a fine drizzle left me a little concerned that Mike had forgotten us for once up there in the great meteorological office in the sky. Why did I worry!!  By the time I arrived at the pitch, to find Marko busying around the charcoals and Neil (with a small army of helpers) erecting the 'difficult' up, the sun was definitely trying to put its hat on.
Delicious lunch provided by the Chair and Captain, thank you.  Much drinking and jollity (too much from me, me thinks), some discussion on how the teams should be selected (well done Paul R, for putting a stop to the cruel idea of going back to the school gymnasium selection method), toss taken and the Skilbeck's found themselves batting.
Too much rose makes one forgetful, so, if my memory fails me, please do NOT correct me, but......
Beattie & Bealby opened and both went on to retire, in fact I think I was the only one of the first 6 or so batsmen to fail in this sense, oops!!  More evidence of the aforementioned rose?
 The Skilbeck's posted 158 by tea, but there were times when it looked like it might be more.  A typically epic tea followed (thank you to all who took a hand in this).  The Grigson innings started with a tumble of wickets and, for just a moment, it looked like we might all make it to the pub in good time.  We had not of course bargained on their Captain.  Neil never looked like getting out (in fact not sure he ever was), and a young McKindoe stoically held the crease to take them within a very respectable 20ish??? of our score.  However it was not to be the Grigson's day and Eddie was able to take the honours.
(you see, the 'selfie' did work!)
We repaired to the Bull, where the presentations were made.  Mark gallantly gave a speech under the most awful and sustained attack from the 'posh sounding bald one', and Eddie received the trophy.  Can we get the engraving up to date?
 Another Great Day at Stonegate!!! PK

No comments:

Post a Comment